Date:         Thu, 30 May 1996 10:08:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Fan!!!

>>I'm in need of a cooling fan for a Syncro! I've posted once and only >>got 1 response. HELP we all know how important it is to have proper >>cooling! >> >> We had coolig problems wth our syncro, especially in traffic jams in hot >weather. We found out that the automatic fan switch didn't come on soon >enough, so we installed a manual switch and a water temp guage. The fan is a >2 speed fan, so we put a 3 pole switch in so we can control what speed we >want. I didn' know the fan has a high speed until I installed this switch. >It only came on on low speed when it came on automaticly. It still comes on >automaticly but now I have the option of turning it on when I want(need) to.

I've seen this happen with the '80 V6anagon (non-syncro), where its cooling fan doesn't come on until the temp gets up around 220F or so. The characteristics of this Chevy V6 engine are different from the wasserboxer, of course, but it seems they share a common problem here.

Chevy literature says that this is correct operation for this engine in the Citation it came out of. But I'd still like to see it come on at a lower temp, say around 190-200.

Interesting note: I recently stopped by the FLAPS-- Kragen Auto Parts to be exact, aka Checker in the midwest. They have a very interesting catalog of radiator-fan switches, that includes units for both American engines (like mine) and imported engines (like all of yours). AND... the listings include not only the application, but the thread size and diameter, the turn-on and turn-off temp points, and whether it's a switch for a fan, or a thermistor type for a gauge.

Neat thing about this, is that I could leaf thru it and find a switch that fits the Chebby engine, with a lower temp range. If they have one... and they do, just one, that closes at 204F. Not quite there, but close. And it's $26. Hmmm.

And... the metric ones have many more available ranges, all the way down to 180F or so. Don't know what the correct thread size is for the various VW engines, or whether they have these low-temp switches for that exact thread. Anyone know what the correct thread size/diameter is for the wasserboxer and/or diesel engines?

Several wasserboxer and diesel-vanagon owners on this list, have told me that their cooling fans almost never come on-- just in long traffic jams, going up long hills at high altitudes, etc. I don't recall how many of those were syncros, if any.

My $1.02... _______ /\ o o o\ Steve Maher smaher@gi.com 75461,1717 /o \ o o o\_______ San Diego, California < >------> o /| \ o/ o /_____/o| '80 VW V6anagon \/______/ |oo| '66 Mustang Coupevertible | o |o/ '89 Son Sherwin |_______|/ http://www.wp.com/IrishMafia ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The economy's not failing-- there are plenty of jobs available! I have three of them! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~