Date:         Thu, 30 May 1996 11:21:04 -0700
From:         steveh@pauli.emu.com (Steve Hoge)
Subject:      Carat/Multivan Rear Seat Compatibility?

Hi all -

A couple of months ago I bought a folding table assembly from a wrecked Carat/Multivan with the idea of installing it in my '89 Syncro GL. It came with the driver's side interior paneling of molded plastic, which contains a "well" that the table folds down into and become flush with the panel. Very cool, as those of you who have one know.

HOWEVER...I've been through all kinds of hell installing this thing; first off, the panel/table assembly alignment was tricky, but better craftsmanship on the 2nd try did the trick. Removing my rear Weekender bed/seat was required to get the new paneling in, and reinstalling that turned out to be a heinously tight fit because the new interior panel sits out farther from the interior frame members than the old paneling. This reduced the clearance (side to side width of the passenger compartment) by more than an inch, which required flexing the panel outwards and performing some creative work with the Sawz-All to get the seat to fit back in.

Now, unfortunately, when the table is folded down in its assembly - even with the paneling entirely removed - there is insufficient clearance between the left edge of the seat and the rear edge of the table to get the seat folded out into a bed. Arghh!! When the table is popped open it's no problem, but when folded down the seat bangs into it.

This leads me to believe that the equivalent Weekender bed in a Carat/Multivan is at least an inch narrower than a normal GL Weekender. Is this true? The guy who sold me the table also has the rear seat FRAME from the same wreck but not the foam/upholstery seat and back :-(. It doesn't seem like I could mount my old seat on a compatible frame and still have sufficient clearance, but somebody out there may know better.

If I'd spent more than the $100 this guy was asking for the table assembly I'd be really pissed, but so far it's only my time spent struggling to get this thing fitted in, removing and installing the rear seat repeatedly, etc. Any bright ideas out there from the crowd at large?

Steve Hoge '77 Auto Loaf '89 Syncro GL