Date:         Thu, 2 May 1996 22:48:34 -0400
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: ENgine needed - GEX Response

In a message dated 96-04-28 12:47:59 EDT, GOLDBERG_DAVID@mpd.tandem.com writes:

> >Experienced has shown the members of this list that GEX may not be >the best choice. Have you looked at Berg, Bergmann, Scat, Pauter, or >even MOFOCO? The first four are really good, and the last one may be >good, but there have been less serious complaints from them then from >GEX. There is also many other companies out there, members on the >list have a list as long as your arm with whom they have had success >with new and rebuilt engines.

I recently purcahsed a 2.0 liter engine for a Vanagon from GEX. Upon leak testing the engine before instalation I found the #2 exhaust valave to be leakng. I called GEX and explained my tale of woe, They over nighted a repalcement head to me and I receved it the next day. I installed the head and it was all better. I also spoke to GEX regarding the hardware that was used to mount the heads as I had a concern about the quality. They asured me that future hrdware will be the factory eqiuvelent. Due to welding and other work that is done to VW heads, I strongly recomend that no matter who you get an engine from, you shaould ask about new heads. Especially type one engines. I understand that new heads are not available for type four and the re-pop Vanagon heads have been nightmares in my experience. Especially with valave seats popping out. This leaves most rebuilt vanagon/Bus engines to have welded heads and the problems that go with them. Although I hate using warranties, Gex is the only company I know of that offers to pay labor for repair work when neccasary. There is some value added here. Dennis H.