Date:         Thu, 2 May 1996 23:33:40 -0400
From:         Vdubdude@aol.com
Subject:      Re: 1980 Vanagon Ignition (accessory position)

> >Here's another question. I just installed a stereo in my Vanagon. Planning >on doing some camping. I'll want to listen to the radio while I'm sitting >around reading. The only way to get the stereo to play is to turn the >ignition to on. At that point all the lights on the dash are on. Is it ok to >leave the key in this position for extended periods of time, or will I need >to rewire my stereo to make it hot all the time? > >Jim Kirk >captain@iquest.net

Captain,

VW originally designed your vehicle to supply live power to the radio at all times. If this is not acceptable, there is an alternative. Ready?

When you put your key in the ignition with the driver's door open you are supposed to hear a buzzer. Do you hear it? If you do, then find the relay that is buzzing in your fuse box. you will have to remove the two phillips screws that mount the fuse box to the body and pull the box down where you can easily get to the relays. Be very careful not to touch any red wires to the body or any pieces of metal or you might get a fireworks show. remove the relay that buzzes when the key is in the ignition (and the driver's door is open). Find the terminal that gets power when you insert your key into the ignition (now that you've found the relay, to hell with the door being open or shut). Insert a red wire (with connector) into that terminal. Run the wire to your red wire on your radio. You now have an accessory position on your ignition switch by just inserting the key.

If you can't find the buzzer relay, look for empty relay positions and test their terminals for voltage present only when the key is in the ignition. When you find one, that's the one! If you still don't find one, you may have a bad relay still taking up space in your fuse box or you may have a bad ignition switch that has had the door buzzer circuit burned out. If the ignition switch is bad, it should cost about $50.00 for a competant VW shop to change it parts & labor. If it is bad, don't wait for the circuit that keeps the car running to burn out on the road. Change it now before you have to pay for towing.

It is bad for you to leave your ignition on while the van isn't running. You can burn out the ignition points in about 5 minutes doing this. Then how are you going to get home?

Any more questions? I'll be delighted to answer them

Ric VdubDude@aol.com