Date:         Wed, 1 May 1996 00:46:30 -0500
From:         ehintz@mail.utexas.edu (Edmund A. Hintz)
Subject:      Re: hmm, is this bad? could it hurt?(lost spark plug)

>hmm, when changing my spark plugs today one fell out of the ratchet and back >into the spark plug housing. i tried to get it out with pliers but only >succeeded in pushing it back where i can't even see or feel it. i shrugged and >put the new plug in, started up the engine and went to work. i'm extremely >paranoid now. could that spark plug in there do major harm? how do i get it >out? > >jonathan

I do believe this is jonathan of retrowestie (and x-rated) fame, ;-) making this an early T4 engine. I did this once while checking out an '80 Vanagon for a buddy. Took me half an hour to get the little bastard out. Made the VW expert look a little stupid in front of both buddy and seller...but saved buddy a wad of cash, as the engine was fried. You should be able to feel it through the front spark plug hole. I got it out with a pair of 90 degree angled needle nose pliers and a helluva lot of patience. The angled needle nose pliers are an excellent addition to any tool box-in mine they actually take the place of standard needle nose pliers. Akward sometimes, but I'm poor. Mine are Craftsman/from sears. As to effect, probably minor, but there will be some cooling air deflection, and I doubt that's very good for the long term.

Peace, ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Edmund A. "Eddie" Hintz **|** "You may say I'm a dreamer, Voice Major, UT Austin * | * But I'm not the only one... <ehintz@mail.utexas.edu> * /|\ * I hope someday you'll join us, '70 Primered Transporter */ | \* And the world will live as one. '73 Orange Super Beetle ***** Imagine." Web page: http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~ehintz ------------------------------------------------------------------------