Date:         Thu, 2 May 1996 23:12:15 -0700
From:         Pat Wheaton <pwheaton@best.com>
Subject:      Is it my generator?

So the generator light is flickering in the '59 bus. It stays off at idle, but as RPMs increase, the generator light flicks on. Just barely. Like about 1/4 of the time. Like if you count 4 it's lit on 1, off on 2, 3, 4.

So, I look at the belt, it looks worn, I figure even if it's not the belt slipping, it sure is gonna be better to change it now then later, and I don't have a spare in the bus, so I get one and change it. Problem is still the same.

So I measure the voltage on the generator - By the way, this is a 1600 DP engine, with the voltage regulator mounted in the engine compartment on the right side (FIF, passenger side). And it is 12 Volt. On the generator, where the two wires come off (on the top) the potential I get was about 5-6 volts at about 1500 rpm, and _increased_ to about 8-9 volts at idle.

So I think I have a generator that is going to the opera. Any ideas? Why is my voltage increasing at idle? It almost seems like I have a 6 Volt generator! With the PO, I wouldn't doubt it, but I have driven it about 500 miles w/ no electrical problems (if you don't count running over my turn signal bulb).

If it is my gen, how hard is it to rebuild? Will the procedure described by Muir help? How much would I have to pay for a new (useable used) one?

Thanks for any help........I will have more questions soon...

Pat Wheaton <Mt. View, CA