Date:         Fri, 3 May 96 09:31:52 EDT
From:         barwise@tuxedo.ENET.dec.com
Subject:      re: EV oil change

ahh yes, the dreaded EV oil change. This is a job that screams for a lift. The engine cover is designed to release and hang by those two "arms" at the rear, and being able to stand under the EV would provide easy access to the filter. So much for dreaming. I've done it about 8 times now and I think I have it just about down pat. Still takes a good 15 minutes to get the front jacked up, on stands, the cover removed and pulled out, and the filter removed. Definitely get the socket and an extension. I can't think of any other way to do it. Even doing all that, the filter's almost impossible to see, and installing the new one is done entirely by feel.

When I bought the EV, I was hoping accessing the filter would be as easy as on my 5 cyl. Quantum (by far the easiest I've ever done). Just the opposite, I'm afraid. While you're under there, take a look around. Lots of interesting stuff.

Anybody change the gas filter yet? They sure didn't leave much extra rubber hose in case you need to trim it back - grrr.

rob 93 EV MV 87 Quantum GL5 95 Serotta