Date:         Fri, 03 May 1996 09:15:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      RE: gassy  oil

>a friend of mine (no really - this isn't happening to me) has a split with an >annoying gasproblem - the oil keeps getting gas in it. (1600 SP) I saw it, >checked the dipstick - and it was 2 quarts high, smelled like gas to me- and >of course was very thin. It wasn't that long since he changed the oil, but >was of course vague on distance/ time, though he didn't even drive it to >town. He changed the fuel pump (twice) and even bought a new carb. He >only lives a quarter mile from work, so he doesn't drive too much, but what a >hassle! > >any suggestions? comments? gas (fart) jokes?

Well, those brazilian (Brosol, I assume?) fuel pumps were never known for high quality, but it seems unlikely that he picked up two bad ones in a row. Time to stretch into the realm of less-likely-but-still-possible guesses:

1.) Is his fuel pump pushrod the right length? They must be matched to the pump. Don't know how many different lengths there were, except that there were more than one. I think all 1600SP's came with the "tall" fuel pump. But most Brosols I've seen, especially when sold by FLAPSs who were more used to selling fuzzy mirror dice, were the shorties suitable for alternator engines ('74-later bugs). If your pushrod is too long, it might overstress the diaphragm inside the pump, and cause eventual (or immediate) holes in the diaphragm.

2.) Does your friend make that 1/4 mile trip to work, twice a day, every day? Plus longer (1/2 mile) trips to the post office, store, VW dealer? He may be doing most of his driving with a cold engine and closed choke plate. This causes rich mixtures (duh), fuel condensing on cylinder walls, and maybe draining down into the crankcase. Normally even this isn't much, but throw in worn rings (if any), misadjusted carb float level (if any), and you could conceivably have a smallish river flowing from the carb, down the intake manifold, into the cylinders, past the rings, and into the case. It's a stretch, I know, but... Murphy's Law applies. My '71 bus used to belch out huge clouds of acrid, opaque white smoke at odd times, and I found the most amazing chain of weird coincidences combining to make it do that. If it's crazy enough, someday somewhere a VW will do it, whatever it is.

http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

"Tax the rich, subsidize the poor." "From each according to his means, to each according to his needs." Any Questions? ----------------------------------------------------------------------