Date:         Fri, 03 May 1996 11:31:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      RE: Governors (i.e.-rev limiters)

>Hi all, just a quick question. I'm working on getting my '66 Westy ready >for the road and I was just wondering if anyone out there still has a >governor on their carb. I mean, it was put there for a reason, right? At >what RPM is it supposed to intervene? If I decide to take it off, it >looks like I just need to take the whole spacer-like thing out from between >the carb and the intake manifold and then get shorter studs for the carb. >Is this right?

Hmmm... have to admit ignorance here. I've never seen/heard of a rev limiter on a VW engine, excpet for an ignition-cutout plunger on a special rotor for certain bus distributor.

I *have* seen an odd EGR valve, that was fitted to a spacer plate between the carb and intake manifold on a '74 bug engine in Colorado. I've heard that these things exist in '73 California bug engines too. Got rid of it pretty quickly in Colorado way back when, when I installed a Thunderbird single-QP exhaust that didn't have the special EGR fitting from the bug engine. Left the spacer in place, and covered the port in it with a piece of aluminum from a hobby shop. A dab of Aviation Form-a-gasket helped.

Any chance this is what's on your engine? Or am I simply showing my ignorance (wouldn't be the first time!)

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon w/Chevy 2800 '66 Mustang Coupevertible

Check out the cars at http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

*** It takes all kinds to make this world. That's why we aren't all Irish. *** ______________________________________________________________________