Date:         Wed, 1 May 1996 09:24:15 -0700
From:         jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com (Jim Ellis)
Subject:      Re: Single-cab hoops

Mitch and List- I recently sold a set for a pre 68 single cab at a Phoenix, AZ, USA swap meet to one of the California guys for $275. This included the hoops (slightly bent~due to low overhang), orgnl wood (tattered), and the tattered canvas. I recognize that this might be a tad low compared to some other deals but the money was talking that day and the items all needed work. I have seen very nice and NOS canvas sell for $500- $1000. by itself. Hoops have been repopped very successfully by Derrick Greg (DG Enterprises) and had been selling in Calif and AZ shows (over 1-1.5 years ago) for about $200-$250 US. Please note that DG has attempted to get away from doing the hoops and has shifted to the "collectible" card thing. The hoops were shipped in three pieces to each hoop and required tack welding. Shipping would be a nightmare otherwise. He still makes up the wood for the bed and the hoops for both splittie single and double cabs.

I have lucked out in the past and bought a whole set up (canvas, hoops, wood) from an older gentleman that knew that it were worth more than the $70.00 sold it to me for. Dont worry, he knew it was a gift but was an old VW fanatic from the old days and was just very cool. I traded fairly for the favor with tasks that he needed done around his property that his age made tough.

Note that the canvas for the '68 single *is* different than the splittie! I could of had one of these (NOS) for a $100. bill until some jerk over heard the conversation and literally jumped right in the middle of the deal and created instant inflation. The seller now thinks it's worth gold and won't sell for anything.

Even "NOS" canvas will be over thirty years old! I highly warn against driving with the canvas on the hoops. A few old OEM canvases that I know of have been destroyed just by running with them installed. The canvas, stitching and wood are all brittle. The wood will tend to "sawtooth" through the canvas if not protected or replaced. For utilitarian functionality I suggest one of those heavy nylon ripstop material type or Texas light weight "canvas" repops. -ellis\