Date:         Sun, 05 May 1996 23:45:11 +0000
From:         Charlie Callahan <charliec42@ilinkgn.net>
Subject:      Re: Junkyards (& Headless Westys)

Well, funny the topic came up.. I introduced me freind to the local junkyard, Norris Foreign Auto, in Elizabethton, TN (Just north of North Carolina)..

And showed him the many mysteries and lost gems within. Um, the way years go here, it's basically 70's-up, no split window busses, but plenty of various vw's of more recent vintage. Among the oddities available there:

A 70's Westy, intact tarp, some rust. Cut off about 1/2 foot from the center of the wheelwell. Intact camping gear. Stuffed with tons of engine heads (not included). They cut the front end off, I saw it later sitting on the side of a car wash, colorfully painted.. the rest would make a interesting trailer...

I had maniacal visions of taking the squooshed rabbit pickup, stripping the bed, and welding the two together right there in the yard, drive either engine home, and be quite weeerd... there's also a ghia w/ just a front end, motor, dash, chassis... ultimate weird westy?

But, really, they're good, the motors just aren't dept:

Two intact vanagons, interiours in good shape, one is a diesel w/210,000 miles, the other a '86 with ? miles. Both vans are there for salvage, titles possibly obtained, I for one am embarrased to say the '86 is in better shape than my near-dead relative...

If you have a spare good motor or such, these would be good donor vehicles. Save them from such ravagers as meself who ruthlessly obtained the OEM curtains off the deesel!...

Seriously, if you are interested, I'll get a price on either.. and there is an actual wrecked van for parts..

Our shopping trip consisted of a couple of struts and a spindle for ye rattly '82 schirroco, total cost: $50. This is the place I coulda got that 108,000 van motor for $600 exchange. somebody got it, though.. :)

Out of the yard, into the parking lot: At the local K-mart: '72 camper, rebuilt motor, $1995. decent shape.tweaking a bit, but ok.

Damn if I wasn't stuck with a near-dead vanagon...

Charlie "Are you sure you won't trade? just needs a rebuild, and then, you'd have heat!" Callahan..