Date:         Mon, 6 May 1996 00:40:40 -0400
From:         Sglw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: trip report -No START DEMON

I had the no start demon in my 70 westy for a long time and it is still there very once in a while. What I had to do was to short htr connection between the solenoid & the hot terminal on the starter. After a while this gets boring when you are wearing work clothes, I then decided that the starter switch was on the blink but this is difficult to replace. My solution was to wire a solemoid switch in parrallel to the ignition starter. This has worked great for a long time and it is obvious that this is getting wonky. So I now have to turn the conventional starter switch (nothing seems to happen) and then toggle the parrallel circuit and it goes fine. This fix has been in place for about 18 months and just now noth circuits together sometimes do not work. I am thinking of putting in a heavy duty relay for the starter solenoid. I believe that many later model vehicles have such relays and did VW go to such a thing for the Vanagons & EV's?? If so can someone let me know what the specs for the relay are..

sam williams 70 westy Yukon Bound