Date:         Mon, 6 May 1996 22:16:46 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      Type 4 FI performance questions.

Now comes the time in my feeble mind when as I'm about to rebuild the '78 that I need to ask the always asked question. Why cant I get more out of a T4 and keep the FI. AVP and Stephens simply say you can't and won't say why. Articles commonly say, the FI can not tolerate a more aggresive cam blah, blah. Why not? What I'd like is a minor performance upgrade, was thinking something like rebuilding the stock 1970 with 96mm P/C to get 2055 or so. Now thats under 5% increase in displacement not too much to ask the FI to handle. But will I get no gain? can the stock cam simply not move enough air or will the FI not provide enough gas? What limits these guys? Could you raise the fuel pressure in the ring main to flow more fuel say in conjuntion with the torsion spring in the air flow meter adjusted for more resistance. I do not want carbs or aftermarket FI. I simply seek to get the most out of what I might be able to and keep stuff looking and running right and hopefully allow myself to get up some of the grades without falling to 3rd and 50mph. Ive ordered the Bosch FI bible to give some insight I hope, but I truly fear the cam issue limits the matter and I seek some clarification. Bumping the compression may of course also help if I swore to run premium or improved the ignition, but these things are known to knock anyway so likely not a good idea. One more odd question to tag along, on the '79 core I recently picked up from Steve Dolan the No 1 intake had pounded its seat well into the head, the standard T4 failure mode right, now I understand why No 1, reduced cooling and all being behind but why the intake seat, seems sort of weird to me. Did a heck of a job too, pounded in easily a tenth of an inch and dropped right out of the head after removal of the valve. Anyway somebody out there is running a kickin 3.1 T4 with 105mm jugs in a Bus, enlighten me, what can I do?

John vwbus@tcpbbs.com