Date:         Tue, 7 May 1996 02:57:08 -0400
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Orcas Island vw survey

This weekend I went camping on Orcas Island, ' jewel of the San Juans', with a couple friends. Saturday Jan, Irene, & I drove from Olympia to Anacortes in Bugster (goes faster :)). It has a roofrack. Amazing the amount of stuff we put in it. With three people and stuff, including a pack on the rack it topped out at 83mph. :) The motor (1600SP) has over 100,000 miles on it, so I'm not complaing (knock on wood). On the way, we counted vws. saw one split screen, a green and white 21 window, I think around Tacoma.

We took the ferry to Orcas and hitched around the island. We had way too much stuff. It was a great weekend for it, sunny and warm. People were really friendly. There are only 3500 year round residents on Orcas, so they must like someone new to talk to. We were going to go to Doe Bay, but ended up with the best campsite at Moran State Park, next to the lake, in the sun. Saw lots of bugs and buses on the island, but only one split, a late '60 (would have come with a 40hp motor, had the shifter in the forward place) blue double doors both sides Riveria camper. It was nice, the guy had bought it from a friend whose family had it for 22 years.

Unfortunately, the next campsite had a dozen small boys, but i think we out rowdied them. Jan kept feeding the local bunny, and a racoon visted too. We made a campfire and cooked stuff. The yams got burnt. I wish we hadn't pitched the tent on those tree roots. The boys stole out marshmallows while we slept.

In the morning we went into town. But first we visited Rosario, Robert Moran's mansion that is now a resort. It's a pretty interesting place, but isn't that a terrible name? Anyway. they have a swimming pool inside, with old tiles on the floors mosaic style, and windows looking out over the water, and a sauna, and a big pipe organ, and all kinds of nifty stuff. In Eastsound Jan's search for a cheesy touristy ashtray was fruitless. They sell shot glasses, though. Then we went to the top of Mount Constitution, which has a tower from which there are great views. The islands look like lumps in the water, with green all over them. It was neat. They were all made by glaciers.

Went back to the campsit for our stuff, and to toast the island, etc. with the last of the beer. Finally got out of there (we did have the best campsite. It was beautiful. The lake was on three sides.) and got a ride in a pick up to the ferry terminal. Flatbedding is fun, makes me want to get a single or double cab. The ferry dropped us in Anacortes about 10:00 Sunday. Back to Oly! Saw one split on the way back, an 63 or earlier one in Mount Vernon. i didn't get a good look.

MORE VW CONTENT: The survey results were 3 split window buses, 29 baywindow buses, and 27 beetles. This was mostly on the way north, and on Orcas. we didn't count Olympia VWs, and it was too dark on the way back to see much. Wierd to see more buses than bugs, i thought . Anyway, it was a great trip, and the first time i had tent camped in ages. Thinking about going to Vancouver Island in a couple weeks, to trade Jan's two fastbacks for a 63 beetle. The guy supposedly has a parts barndoor bus, too.

:) clara