Date:         Tue, 7 May 1996 02:56:43 -0400
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Urgent Bus SOS!!

I need help in Tacoma, WA with my '78 FI bus! I'm supposed to take a friend home to California, and another to Colorado at the end of the week before returing myself home to Texas, but the bus is not healthy for some mysterious reason, and I need help to get on the road by Friday afternoon..

Here's the story: Last night, I tried to take my girlfriend out to dinner, and as I give the van gas to back up, it dies. I restart and try again, and every time I give it gas, it dies. "Hmmm..." Thinks I, just before borrowing a friend's car for the date. - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'd check the air intake sensor. It's that bit of the FI that has the air filter on it. If i remember right, when it goes bad, the bus idles , but dies if you try to go somewhere. Or was it the dual relay? Find a book with instructions, and voltohmeter, and check it out. There is a place called Ovals in Tacoma that sells vw bits, I'm not sure about junkyards for FI - check the phone book. Bry's in Seattle has a bunch of stuff, but it costs more than a regular junkyard.