Date:         Tue, 30 Apr 1996 21:01:24 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      Trans fluid: GL-5 vs. GL-4 vs. synthetic

DEREK, DO NOT DO THIS, as I have admonished numerous times The GL rating is wear additive formulation, you need a GL4 cause VW says you do. My local parts place stock 80W90 GL4 only for about $2 the quart. My best rec is as usual Redline MTL, perfect for this app, correct weight, GL4 formulated, synthetic (which is fine, too slippery?, what BS) about $7.50 the quart, call (510)228-7576 for a local dealer. Indeed the front diff does take GL5 rated as it has no synchro hubs, the VW synchro hubs are designed for metal compatibility with and only with a GL4 oil. Indeed I used a GL5-6 in my Quantum 4wd and it started howling about a year later (though likely from terrible under oil condition, not the GL5 but who knows), if I owned a 4wd van, I would spring for the $32/qt VW (my price here), lets see $120 in oil, $1200 in transmission, you make the call. The MTL should be an excellent choice though, call them any verify it for this app, then buy it GPR 800-321-5432 a good source if a local one is not available. Get some Redline Water Wetter for the cooling system while you are at it someone recently conjectured that agitation of micrbubbles in the coolant from not "wetting" the head a common problem in big truck diesels unless they use a wetting agent like this, wasserboxer is same configuration, wasserboxer has problems, an ounce of prevention and all.

John

its not a case of "slipperiness" but one of syncro eating additives in GL-5. Well atleast according to Redline. D. Haynes claims that that is an old idea and that the sulfer compunds responsable for the corrosion are not present in modern GL-5 oils. I don't know about that, up here i have "smelt" trans oil that is disctinctly sulphurous.

i put Redline MTL (GL-4) in my trans this winter, I think it was an improvement (replaced the non-synthetic)

alistair

___________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY drew@interport.net (main address for e-mail) derekdrew@aol.com (alternate/backup, checked infrequently)