Date:         Tue, 7 May 1996 09:55:47 -0700
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Parts, Case Codes, head studs/nuts

Having gotten Little Martha's clutch fixed, I finally concluded the deal I struck when I bought her and picked-up the '71 front axle assembly the DPO had accumulated to do a disk-brake retrofit. Bless her, my wife says we can store it since we're moving and storing stuff anyway- Out of idle interest, what's a front axle assembly worth? If I can pick another up in a year for $100 or less, I might sell this one and buy another when I have time to do the retrofit. (Certainly not this summer).

Guy who sold me the pickup looked at my ECI engine and said "Hmmm, D case, that's a late 60s single port, I think this came with an H case new, but it probably doesn't make much difference." Is this right and if so, what difference does a D case make versus an H case in a pretty much bone-stock 1600sp with stock carb & distributor, extractor exhaust? I did have it built with GM hydraulic lifters (and it clatters a bit, then quiets, if started after a long sit, so I'm pretty sure they're in there..) I have a Pertronix electronic ignition I'm going to install one of these days.

He also thought it was misfiring at idle (it doesn't seem uneven to me- any opinions how to troubleshoot this?).

Finally, said DPO, who is a mechanic, said that at the 300 mile mark on the new engine it would be a good idea to retorque the lower head nuts and reset the valves, because it probably tightened up. Well, I shouldn't have to do the valves :) but retorquing the head makes sense. 300 miles a good distance, Volks? ECI is no longer in business (so much for my waranty) so I can't ask them. They didn't mention this in their recomendations and requirements that I recall.

Having had the clutch clevis pin fail after 300 miles from lack of grease, and there being no pedal cover under the nose, makes me feel that this fellow is well intentioned but not *detail* oriented, if you know what I mean. Maybe he's just an engine enthusiast...

Cheers! Bill