Date:         Thu,  7 May 92 16:28:49
From:         dace.ecc@argonet.co.uk (David Eccles)
Subject:      Biggest ever assemblage of Splits in UK

Where do I start to try and share the most *amazing* experience? SSVC held its special meeting this weekend, designed to culminate in the famous convoy to the show at Stanford Hall....we workrd hard to get a good scene togetherv but the turnout exceeded our wildest dreams! On Friday 5 German families came over with a 1961 fully eqippped ambulance. a 62 totally origianl Westfalia and a '63 samba amongst them. Despite an accident involving one of their children and a night at the hospital treating a broken arm I think they too had an amazing time...and the convoy blew them away! We also had a Dutch member come over...and by sat night there were about 150 Splitties plus beetles ,bays,(thats bubble front to you guys overvthe pond) T3 even Vanagons and some other non VWs Sat nights live band electrified everyone wth an eclectic mix of blues, rock'n'roll, c/w,and heavy rock...my fave was the 20 minute version of Bolero which just spaced the entire crowd....but the Hendrix covers were bloody good too! On Sunday morning we convoyed in one long line 20 miles or so (15 on motorway)...we havent counted back from the movie yet but we reckon there were about 140 Splits (and then loads of others) in one continuous line snaking along the ride. I cant even begin to describe the sight or feeling. The line stretched for 2.5 miles!!!!!!!! :) :) :) And when we arrived at the show and poured in everything stoppped...the trade and display area just emptied as people came to stare in open mouthed awe...it was really something...and then we all parked in pride of place display area in front of S Hall itself (a stately home)..140 Splits in a curve..... unbelievable sight! A club member has filmed the weekend.(not a home movie job)..including interviews of ownwers about their vans...and the convoy!!! He is editing it professionally and I have asked him about getting it available for US format...cost will be about 15 US dollars plus postage...max 25 dollars I reckon. If you are intersted (serious enq only) let me know and I'll post details of how etc...not available till mid June..sorry! (About a tenner to UK people.) Its the biggest convoy in the 13 year history of SSVC (founded at Stanford Hall incidentally) and we reckon it must rank as one of the biggest Splitty convoys in the world.....now we are planning for next year! PS..how many people does it take to get a stupified Dave into the van at approx 2am (without keep coming out again)...answer...just a word from Cee! --

**dace.ecc@argonet.co.uk** Hal 'ECHO' Eccles - WFRP, X-files, etc... '72 1303S Ragtop David (bill payer)Eccles - SSVC, Volkswagens etc '67 Split; '72 Bug