Date:         Tue, 7 May 1996 12:13:36 -0500
From:         cmoran@cswnet.com (Colin A Moran)
Subject:      Alcan trip (long)

My drive down the Alcan Highway was not as bad as some. The highway has improved immensely. The only stretches that were not paved, were the ones that were being improved. I drove from Anchorage to Topeka KS, with My wife, three sons (ages 4, 2, 2 months), a greman sheppard, and a cat. I removed the middle seat to make room for the dog kennel.

I experienced only minor problems, the first was a problem shifting. The shifter was suddenly real stiff and the tranny wouldnt go into grear. The first thought was the clutch was not commpletly disengaging. I stopped and checked the tranny, Covered with ice. The ice was formed around the shift linkage and made it hard to shift. Shifter worked fine after removing the ice.

Next came an annoying problem with the engine. At about 10" of vacumn at light loads it would buck and jump. This started just past Tok Junciton. The problem would come and go, with no consistancy. It has'nt done it since the trip. It is scary though out in the middle of nowhere with an engine that acts like it's about to jump out the back.

Then just before White Horse, we ran through a construction area. A bypass road had been built out of, what appeared to be flint. The next morning in White Horse, the left rear tire was flat. I took it to a repair shop, where they removed a sliver of rock about 1 1/2" long. It went right through a BF Goodrich T/A radial.

The next problem occured just south of Edmonton, Alberta. After driving for 2 hours, I noticed a fluctuation in the oil pressure. Just to be safe I pulled off the highway to check it out. When I walked to the rear of the van I noticed a puddle of antifreeze rapidly forming under the right rear. I had tightened the drive belt for the water pump and altenator before I left Elmendorf. I got it too tight. The seals in the water pump had worn out, due to the increased strain on the shaft. I had the syncro towed to an official VW repair station, in Red Deer it was only 5 miles from where I stopped. When I say towed, I mean placed on a flatbed truck. You can't tow a Syncro with any wheels touching the pavement. To replace the water pump, it cost almost $300.00 US, and one days travle time.

After we entered the us driving through Montana we were passed by an 18 wheeler. It kicked up a rock, that at the time looked as big as a baseball. It struck the winshield directly infront of me. It created a bullseye the size of a golf bal, I though it was going to come through. It would'nt have been so bad if it had been on some other part of the windshield. I had to through or around that spot for another 1000 miles.

The last problem I had was found after the trip in Topeka KS, at my parents. I found that both outer front CV joint boots were torn. It appears, from the marks on the lower control arms, that the tow truck put the hooks on the arms to pull the van onto the flatbed. In the process both boots were ripped. I checked the van out before the trip and they were'nt torn then. Thats about 1800 miles with torn boots. Needless to say I immideatly removed the CV joints and inspected them. They looked fine. I replaced the boots and have not had any problems , ...yet.

If I had to do it all over again I would in a heart beat. The scenery was magnificent. I want to drive the alcan again, minus the dog and cat. Question, way does the movement of a vehicle give animals gas?

One thing I recommend, if you drive your van or bus over long distances, install full set of guages. It saved me a motor. It also helps to diagnose probles as they happen.

Cheers to all. Colin

Colin A Moran

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull sh*t.

86" Syncro GL