Date:         Tue, 7 May 1996 16:51:49 -0400
From:         Ian Webb <ian_webb@virginia.edu>
Subject:      Air Conditioning problems on 90 Westy

Are there any AC experts out there? I took my 90 Westy in to my local shop today to get the freon recharged and we found a problem bigger than just needing freon. First off, this was just a corner garage, not the VW dealer or an AC place. I took it ther because a friend recommended them as they recharged his vanagon AC for about half of what the dealer wanted. He spent 15 minutes looking for the 2nd valve to hook his recharger up to before finding that this model has only one hookup for recharging. He then sucked all the freon out, made sure there weren't any big leaks in the system by putting a "vacuum test" on it, then recharged it. Then I turned on the AC, only to have the AC clutch turn on then immediately turn off, turn on then immediately turn off, turn on then immediately turn off repeatedly. After calling around town to several AC buddies, we talked to my VW mechanic (of all people) who told him that his 86 vanagon did the same thing and that after replacing the receiver dryer and a few O rings, that it now works fine. My VW mechanic suggested that we feel around on the reciever dryer and we might find that one end was cool and one end was warm, suggesting that it was clogged and needed to be replaced. Sure enough, thats what we found. I called Camelback VW and they quoted me a price of about $113 (compared to my local dealer @ $171) for a new one, but I don't know if I'm satisfied with that level of diagnosis. I mean, I just don't feel $113+ sure that we pegged the problem. Any suggestions? Anyone else had this problem? Anybody got a Bentley that addresses this kind of thing? Someone mentioned not too long ago that the conversion to R134 required a new dryer and rubber. Should I think about making the conversion since I may be buying a dryer anyway? has anyone actually DONE the conversion?

thanks!

ian

Ian Webb, Assistant Director University of Virginia Roanoke Center Phone: (540) 857-7922 Fax: (540) 857-7936 ian_webb@virginia.edu