Date:         Tue, 7 May 1996 20:51:57 -0500
From:         walshp@h1l6xa.nawc-ad-indy.navy.mil (Pat Walsh)
Subject:      Re: One more question before the rebuild.

thorsland@bigvax.alfred.edu writes: >PS On valve adjustments: The Bently manual says to turn the engine 90 degrees >counter-clockwise after adjusting the 1st cylinder to get the 2nd cylinder at >TDC. My Idiot Book, How to rebuild you aircool VW book, and my Claymer? Book >all say to turn the engine 180 degress counter clockwise. The 180 degress >makes more sense to me. Is Bently a missprint or am I reading something >wrong? > I think the idea is to turn the distributor rotor 90 degrees, which would be the same as turning the crankshaft 180. Whichever is easier for you to see or work with. And either way, the exact amount isn't critical so you don't have to spend a lot of time or use special instruments. You just want the lifter to be on the circular part of the lobe, which is a good sized portion of the lobe. I use the rotor method myself, 'cause that way there's no mistaking which cylinder is in the firing position. (Just follow the wire the rotor is pointing to.)

Pat Walsh, '71 Westy, walshp@camry.nawc-ad-indy.navy.mil