Date:         Thu, 09 May 1996 10:10:38 +0200
From:         Darie Duclos <darie@tell.ascom.ch>
Subject:      SUMMARY: drum brake adjustment

Hi Volks,

Thanks to much help from y'all, I finished changing the brake cylinders last night. Here's a (rather detailed) summary of what I did and some of the problems:

1 - You do not need to remove the axel nut to work on the rear brakes. There are (usually) 2 small bolts in between the wheel bolts which hold the drum in place. These are easily removed. The problem comes with having to pull the drum off. As far as I can see, there are 2 things that hold it in place. a. the brake shoes inside out pressing out against it. This is easily taken care of by removing a rubber plug in the back of the brake assembly (towards the middle) and using a screwdriver to turn the toothed brake adjuster. You've turned it enough when you can easily rotate the drum a small distance. b. the drum is rusted to the axel shaft. The best method for this turned out to be a few solid hits with a normal hammer in between the wheel bolts, parallel to the axel shaft (and near it if possible). The trick to this (I think) is that the drum has a little bit of play along the axel shaft and every time before the next whack you pull the drum out towards you. The hand brake must be off by this point of course. :-)

2 - Although my book said to remove the brake shoes to change the cylinders, I did not find this necessary. I loosened the brake adjuster (horizontal bar just below the cylinder) enough to maneuver it out. I detached the spring that holds in place the little lever that rests against the brake adjuster (this must be the "self-adjusting" part of the adjuster). Then I unhooked the upper springs of the shoes where they almost meet in the center below the cylinder. At this point the shoes can be tapped outwards. I removed the bolt in the back that holds the cylinder in place. With a lot of trouble I unscrewed the brake fluid line, also in the back. I took out the old cylinder by rotating it a bit to get it out of the slots in the brake shoes. Then, you just reassemble with the new parts. Et voila!

3 - There were a couple of ways to readjust the brakes after all this. a. "Take off the drum, and rotate the adjuster wheel a bit, then put on the drum, and step on the pedal to centre the shoes. Remove drum and repeat. Once it gets so you can't readily remove the drum you are done."

b. "There should be a hole in the backing plate just behind it through which you can stick a screwdriver and turn the wheel. to best adjust your brakes, pick up the back end of the van so both rear tires are free to spin, adjust the shoes out untill you can feel some resisance. then go hit the brakes, that centers everything and repeat the process until the slight resistance stays the same."

c. Adjust manually as above at least until the shoes are close to the drum. Reassemble everything. Drive slowly backwards and slam on the brakes. Do this several times and see if there is improvement. I don't garantee that this works. It's supposed to. I think it worked a bit for me. If the adjuster lever is not perfectly aligned, this will not work.

4 - DON'T FORGET TO BLEED THE BRAKES. :-) Thanks to all of you who yelled this at me in chorus. I bled both sides last night after finishing the second cylinder. Boy, what a difference! :-) I still have to bleed the front brakes and the clutch system (gotta look up how to do this..) tonight to really finish the job.

5 - If you followed a manual's instructions you also loosened the hand brake adjustment towards the beginning. You only tighten it again when all is done.

Strange thing I noticed. The brake shoes on the right side were rather unevenly worn. The top was clean (but not really worn) and the bottom of the shoes was dusty. On the *right* side, the complete shoes were unworn and dusty! Could the cylinders have been so bad that the rear brakes were, so to speak, not working at all??? And to think that I had new shoes ready to put in because I thought mine were worn out! Paid swiss prices for them too! ($120 for the pair or something) Hope they'll take them back.. If I need them later, I'll mail order. As it is, even with OEM parts, the repair cost me some $125 as opposed to the $750 or so estimated by the garage if they did it.

Thanks for everything: Tim Smith Joel Walker Sean Bartnik Ed Gould Ron Van Ness Richard Alexand Palmer Michael A. Radtk Dennis Haynes Clara Tobin T. Copley Randy Farchmin William R. Kennedy Steve Maher David Raistrick

Darie '86 Westfalia