Date:         Thu, 9 May 96 09:08:16 PDT
From:         stafford@newport26.hac.com (Jack Stafford)
Subject:      Re: Help!: Passing CA smog with a modified VW engine

On Wed, 8 May 1996, jburns@mail.sdsu.edu (James Burns) wrote: >Specific options I have thought of include: > >1. Remove 2180 engine and put in a pre-'66 stocker (which I don't yet have).

That would work. Don't say a word about switching back to anyone. I believe that any pre '66 car does not require a smog inspection.

>2. The above plus get a new certificate of origin from the manufacturer, >then register as a *new* vehicle thereby avoiding the immigrant extortion >FEE.

Okay.

>3. Bolt an original carb back on 2180 and pray for a visual pass even >though it has a few other frills.

Risky, but probably worth a try. Give it a go at some place that does not know what a '71 VW motor looks like.

>4. Negotiate with the DMV inspector over the following interpretation of >the FEE: Since the fee is charged regardless of the fact that the car >passes emissions in non-stock form, the visual inspection is irrelevent as >long as emissions are acceptable. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bzzzzztttt! Wrong. The visual inspection is just as valid a criteria to fail a vehicle as the tailpipe emissions. You've hit a nerve. I'm in the process of getting my '73 camper with a '78 engine inspected. There are 3 major points in the smog inspection. 1. Tailpipe emissions, 2. Visual inspection and 3. Functional testing. That's right, not only does all that smog plumbing have to be there, but it has to be *working*. If you fail any one of the 3 you FAIL the check. Last time I was inspected they failed me for not having an unleaded restrictor in the fuel filler neck. The tailpipe emissions were well within the limits for a '78 engine. Ticky-tack.

> Can the words "Negotiate" and "DMV" be used in the same sentence?

Absolutely not. How long have you been in CA? :-) :-) :-)

Good luck, Jack '73 Westy