Date:         Thu, 9 May 1996 19:36:58 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      VW's Problems was: Re:EV Catalytic Converter

SY>Let me guess. The guy's name is something like R. Knox. If so he's on a SY>real rampage against VW for percieved "wrongs" that VW & dealers have done SY>him. He'll blow the slightest thing way out of proportion. He'll even SY>expound on subjects that have no basis in fact. Also, he loves to quote an SY>"Advertising Age" (the world's automotive authority??) article from 3 years SY>or so ago that details VW's lack of US sales. I think that half this guy's SY>life is dedicated to attacking VW.

Well let me interject, this guy is likely real correct. Lets see VW sales fell from 100's of thousand to well under 100k in the early 90's. This is fact you can get from VW itself. And VW and dealers have wronged lets see every single Wasserboxer owner ever. I myself am very dedicated to attacking VWoA and more specifically the way VW has let their dealer network fall into a dissaray of often obnoxious, badly trained, idiots characterised generally by totally poor service. I have 200 surveys filled out a year or so ago by vanagon list, corrado list, and rec.autos.vw readers to largely back this claim up, and these filled out by people like me who LOVE VW's and would never drive any other car. Personally though, the Corrado is the last new water pumper I will ever buy unless they really turn the dealer network around (like dump em all and start anew). I mean how about 17 services on my mom's '90 Passat auto tranny (a box with known problems admitted in tech bulletins) in the 6 years we have owned it, only finally to break once again 3 months out of warranty, it now shifts up 1,2,3,D and back down D,3,2 everytime you brake, REAL disconcerting to drive a car that downshifts as you brake. Funny thing car never had a problem until we let our local incompetants perform a recall in '92. How about a guy I ran down to ask if he wanted to sell his Q syncro, a vehicle I desperately seek to own again. His was beautiful 60k miles, no problems except local dealer had just replaced O2 sensor and told him they could not reset the dash indicator light without dissasembling the entire dash to the tune of 4 hours labor. I reset it for him with a BIC pen in 30 seconds in a parking lot, in the way you reset the light on every single FWD VW ever made. I mean total dealer service staff STUPIDITY, and to fault VW you are usually paying $45+ and hour for this stuff, since most VW dealers were "rewarded" with at least Audi and maybe Porsche dealerships in the 70's scheme of things and have to keep all their service costs in line. This was one of VW's fatal errors in the US I personally believe as the snotty attitudes it has left dealers with today largely don't jive with a typical VW owner of yore. Most dealers realized they could bust their nuts selling 10 VW's or 3 Audis and chose the latter. I mean the dealer at home now has a SATURN lot he put in where once 50 bugs and busses used to sit. Now I know that the German economy hit the dumps in the early 90's and anything built there was incompetive (EV, Corrado, Passat (to an extent)) but even building all that they are now in Mexico with appealing prices and finally maybe having worked out Mexican quality control, unless they get dealers in line it will be for not. Heck the worst error ever was shutting down the PA plant, you want to know what VW could sell by the 100's of thousands today, a VR6 EV made in PA selling for under the cost of a Grand Caravan, (or maybe a Sharan as some people will never like the brick shape). Course VW could never make it work, the parts (stamped in Charleston WV BTW to my shame) never quite fit like german, the interiors and build quality never quite snuff, and most importantly they didn't seek the import tax breaks and con the American public "sheep" into the fact they were buying an AMERICAN MADE vehicle. That was left till 3 or 4 years later in Ohio? with those ingenious Japanese selling us at the time cars of nearly 80% Japanese content made by American workers and telling us how wonderful it was. Admittedly after they got their foothold the content is changing but I'd bet that the final VW's off the US lines were far far more US content than early Honda. Oh BTW talking of wonderful VW quality check out the guys WWW page about his early Passat problems (this time with the nearly equally problematic early Passat/Corrado G60 box of much tech bulletin fame as well) do a Yahoo for VW Passat, you'll find it. And anybody that thinks that 10 yr/ 100k is going to save em better wake up to the world of VW electronics, a/c, other, prices etc. and you'd be suprised just what isn't part of your "drivetrain". Hmmn, and mom and dad after 30 years of VW only ownership are trading the Passat on an Outback Legacy, "sheep" they may be but they are paying at least $5k less than the Passat wagon we priced and would have to wait for and are getting more features plus a proven 4wd system and the dealer is throwing in Subaru's 7/70 so for the first time in 30 years their primary driver will not be VW, a not uncommon story for people like them. Of course they will still take out the '77 Westy this summer for vacation.

Anyway enough tirade for the day, and all this about cat convertes too, sorry.

John vwbus@tcpbbs.com