Date:         09 May 96 23:26:07 EDT
From:         "William A. McKinley" <75112.2101@CompuServe.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear Suspension Question

>I have a fairly loud and annoying squeek coming from the rear of the Westy >(77). I think I've narrowed it down to the rubber suspension busheson the >spring plate covering the torsion bar.

Replace the bushing with a new one. Use no oil, it will damage the rubber. Talcum powder helps it slide for the install. Don't believe that you have to remove the brake lines to remove the spring plate... there's a notch cut out in the plate so it will slide off the brake line. I found this out AFTER removing one side. The manual said it was necessary. Evidently some changes were made in the later models. There are two on each side. I think I paid about $5 US each for them. New is the only way to go. Not a difficult project. Read up on adjusting the ride height (torsion bar) in the rear before starting the project. It's a good thing to do while you've got it all apart.

Andy McKinley 75112.2101@compuserve.com '72 Westy, looking for a Thing to buy