Date:         Fri, 10 May 1996 02:38:13 -0400
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: brake adjuster clip

Hey all, as long as we're talking drum brakes: I'm doing the fronts on my '66 and on each backing plate (left and right) I'm missing one of the clips rivetted to the plate to stop the adjuster from turning back. Anyone have real world experience with this same problem. Does it matter? If so, anyone have a catalog with backing plates for drum brakes? - - - - - - - -

if the clip is broken, your brakes may de - adjust themselves and you may find yourself with brakes not working right, ie pulling, or needing to be pumped. This wont happen if the star is well stuck, which would keep it from turning and deadjusting. Also keep YOU from adjusting it. I personally like to take the stars off and grease them well, so next time i do brake adjustment it is easy as pie.

my advice is to either

1) use stuck stars so they wont de adjust (not so good choice)

2) make or get clips and weld them on to the backing plate, or

3) find a backing plate with good clips and change it over.

:)