Date:         Fri, 10 May 1996 12:15:00 -0400
From:         "bill (w.r.) crick" <crick@bnr.ca>
Subject:      Value of Spec 76 Type II?

I've seen a lot of van for sale postings lately, and am wondering what mine is worth. I'd like to get it insured for more than the $12.95 that the insurance company thinks a 20 year old VW is worth;-) It is a 1976 2litre FI Type II. Not a westie, but a 7 passenger version. Regarding condition, it is stock, basically at factory spec, with 50K easy miles.* Original paint except passenger door was repainted when it was scraped in a parking lot in 1978. Original tires!!!! No rust except a few stone chips on the nose with what a friend calls 'Rain Rust'. It was only driven in the summer, on holiday trips for 11 of its first 17 years, and then on blocks for 6 years. I've put about 3K summer miles on it a year. It has been oil sprayed, and may have originally been undercoated. Has gas heater that works fine. My mechanic's view of its condition is "perfect, just perfect".

Engine repairs done to date: New exhaust parts. New fuel injectors.

Any estimates? Anyone know where I could get it appraised for insurance purposes? Please e-mail as well, as I only see first 30K of the digest.

Thanks Bill Crick 1976 Type II/IV/VII Ottawa Canada