Date:         Fri, 10 May 1996 22:23:03 +0000
From:         "Charles F. Webb" <cwebb@teleplex.net>
Subject:      Re: Tables, Oil Leaks, and Aux. Heater in 79 Campmobile

> > My van also leaks oil :-( I hate to see the puddle on the ground, but I > have been told that it is common to most VW's. It is coming from the oil > filter bracket where it connects to the engine. I tried to take this bracket > off, but cannot get at the bolts which hold it in? Any suggestions? Also > could it be coming from the oil cooler? Could I fix that without pulling > the engine? FYI it seems to be leaking about a 1/2L (1 pint?) every 500km > (380mi). Does it need to be fixed??

I postponed fixing my oil leak many months, Although it did not adversely affect operation it did take MANY HOURS of cleaning to even find the motor. It also got on the motor mounts and ruined the rubber and found its way in the fan shroud and caused an oil smell in the cab. The oil cooler has a gasket just like a Bug motor, and there is info in the archives about other likely places. In my motor it was a combination of several things including the filler tube and dip-stick O-Ring. On the reverse lights check the switch on the trans. and be sure its getting power (maybe from the coil?) Charles F. Webb http://www.teleplex.net/cwebb Freedom Weekend Aloft- Memorial Day Weekend http://www.teleplex.net/fwa '81 Westy '70 Westy (yardbus) 864-439-1847 Duncan, SC