Date:         Fri, 10 May 1996 22:27:22
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (RON SALMON)
Subject:      Will these wheels work on my '63 Bus?

As I mentioned here before, I just put my '63 Deluxe on the road for the first time. The P.O. had put 14" tires on instead of the 15" size standard for '63. Since I need new tires anyway, I've had my eye out for some 15" bus wheels. Someone has offered me a set of 15" chrome wheels that he says were on a Beetle he bought years ago. They are significantly wider than standard Beetle rims, and are apparantly Brazilian. They accept the stock moon hubcaps, and have oval cut-outs around the edges (around the perimeter of the moon hubcaps). The bolt pattern looks the same as the Bus pattern at casual glance. The owner wants $35 apiece for them, and they are in relatively good shape. Someone I asked said these might be aftermarket wide '66-'67 Beetle wheels. He then laughed at me when I told him I was thinking of putting them on a bus. Said he didn't even know if they'd work, and he's never heard of anyone putting any sort of Beetle rim on a Bus. He advised that I hold out for the correct bus rims, even if they are not chrome. Can anyone identify these wheels? Is it a good idea to put them on a bus (or will they even fit)? Also, is $140 for 4 a good price?

Thanks, Ron Salmon