Date:         Wed, 1 May 1996 17:49:54 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      Re: freshly rebuilt 1600DP running VERY HOT!

DW>> manifolds' like some sort of little shroud. When I asked if they were to b DW>> replaced, he said no they are not needed. They were sort of half curved DW>> pipes, two of which would go around the 'manifolds'. What are they? What d DW>> they do? What happens if I don't have them?

DW>They sound like the heat shields for the manifolds. As the exhaust gas DW>exits the heads into the exhaust manifold, it is as hot as it ever will DW>be. To keep it from radiating into the area around the cylinders the DW>manifolds have a sheet metal heat shield spaced off them ~1/4 in. If they DW>are not there, the pipes add their heat to the air that is cooling your DW>cylinders, which makes it less able to cool. Not great, but probably not DW>immediatley fatal. Steve sez get 'em back, put 'em on.

Unfortunately said shields are seldom in condition to get back, and usually fall off the car, even a low miles car. These were a mid 70's invention came from '76? I know I have seen f.i. cars apparently origionally without them and you can't tell from earlier Type 4 with the heat exchangers coming straight off the heads. I swear my '76 had them not, the '77 and '78 do, and even the incredible '77 had them in sad shape. Needed, maybe not, but as Steve says certain to add heat without them. I suggest for exotic types, take off the headers and get em ceramicoated, maybe the whole exhaust if you feel rich, for us normal people, get some Whitney header insulation wrap, and wrap em up. Or just don't worry about it.

John vwbus@tcpbbs.com