Date:         Fri, 10 May 1996 22:42:13
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (RON SALMON)
Subject:      Re: Tables, Oil Leaks, and Aux. Heater in 79 Campmobile

I just got a 79 Westfalia Campmobile and it comes with two >tables. I cannot figure out where to put the other table (in the >back?) There is absolutely nowhere to connect it to.

There should be brackets attached to the sink cabinet, right where it attaches to the icebox cabinet. An "upside-down-L"-shaped leg goes into the brackets, holding a table that can swivel in front of the sofabed for eating, or over the icebox when not eating.

>And last, but not least, i have a auxillary heater. More often >than not, it works, but sometimes it doesn't. I have heard that >these are walking time bombs. Are they safe, or should I turn it >on and run?

If your heater is the correct one for a '79 U.S. bus (the BA6, which mounts to the undercarraige of the bus, not inside it or in the engine compartment), it is, in my opinion, safe if in proper operating condition. I developed a lot of respect for the BA6's design when I took apart, tested, and reassembled one for installation into my '77. There are a number of sensors that measure operating temperature, amount of time until ignition, etc. and the heater to shut down if anything is less than perfect. Mine seemed to err on the side of caution - it shut down here and there when it probably didn't have to, but never failed to shut down when there really was a problem. I was worried about the safety of a gas heater myself, but after learning about how the BA6 worked I stopped worrying (and really enjoyed being warm all winter!). I wouldn't do without one, myself! Important, though, that _all_ the components (including the safety stuff) be tested for proper (safe) operation. Also, a BA6 should be run every month or so year-round, or it will likely fail to fire up when the winter comes around again. I have a very long and detailed service manual, which I suppose I could photocopy if you could not find a local shop that can properly test and service a BA6. Also, the Bentley Vanagon manual covers it (but the Bus manual does not).

-Ron Salmon