Date:         Sat, 11 May 1996 20:18:06 -0400
From:         Tim McDermott <mcdermot@li.net>
Subject:      Re: Continuing Engine Troubles

At 10:06 AM 5/11/96 -0500, you wrote: >'84 Vanagon GL Digijet -- ongoing rich running problem. > I had a similar problem with my van shortly after replacing the motor. I was driving to the BUG OUT, when exiting the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel my van started bucking and blowing black smoke. It was running VERY rich. I finally made to the Bull Run campground but had to stop 2x to remove and clean the spark plugs. Also my to speed was about 35 miles per hour... not very good for I95.

After arriving at the campground I took out my vom meter and my Bentley book and proceeded to check all the FI parts. I couldn't find anything wrong.

Luckily Dennis Haynes was coming to the campground later that day and he was able to diagnose the problem(It took him about 15 min.)

The problem was the starter wire had a break in it and the computer was constantly going into the cold-start mode and enriching the mixture.

The moral of the story is ... sometimes it is not what you expect. Don't discount any possibilities. Tim McDermott Systems Analyst (NY)