Date:         Sun, 12 May 1996 02:56:43 -0400
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: torque, rear brakes

conincedentally, during this threads life, i suddenly realized that the newly revived 67 camper i'm driving this month (ok, still undergoing reviving) doesn't have the pins in the rear wheel nuts. so, to save my bad back i prefer not to use the poundimiform and big hammer. yes, folks, im still aching here from that smashup six months ago. So, day before yesterday i pull out the big socket, 3/4 to 1/2 converter, 1/2 drive breaker bar, and pipe. attach same to axle nut, push down (actually step on it) and promptly brak the d*mn breaker bar. duh. okay, it's craftsman and replacable, but the converter aint, and i still have the pins to put in.

I get out the poundimiform (impact wrench) and the hammer. no go. need a bigger hammer. the 4lb one is one it's way east somewhere, so i get the 8 lb maul for wood splitting, mash the poundimiform, and knock the nuts into place. pins are in. this is not good for the back. why didn't i wait? i'm no good at the old damsel in distress thing. (won't you please help me with my axle nuts. I know that you are sooo strong. bat lashes). so i take a hike down to the creek in the ravine and back, and build a good fire and get some heat on my back. and guess what! it's not as bad as i thought it would be! :)

then yesterday i drive over the my friend jim the pro wood worker who is splicing the birch veneer together so i will have a pretty piece for the long panel on the passenger side of the camper with the grain running vertically. this is the guy with the gas in the oil. i pulled off the fuel pump and there *was* gas leaking out of it into the case. new pump, too. but the thing was, that on the way there i hear this funny noise from the back of the camper. hmm i dont like that. should i wait till i get there? it's only a couple miles. nah. i pull over and the noise slows down. trans? i hope not. the noise stops when i stop. not in the engine, then. i shut it off, and walk around the bus. lug nuts on left rear are almost off. glad i stopped. :). of course, my tire tool is a 3/4 impact drive on that 1/2 drive broken breaker bar. so i wave someone down (rural road) to get a loan of a lug whench. (damsel in distress? not dressed for the part) got help from a guy with greasy jeans and barking dog in an old truck. as he got out the tools, he said. "looks like your bus is in good shape for one that old. i had three of these, one had the doors on both sides, real rare" i wouldn't have guessed from looking at him that he would have been coaght dead in a vw. Goes to show you never can tell.

I went to sears today and got replacement tools (i had saved up a couple other broken ones). the flex end of the breaker bar fell out of the converter when I dropped it in the parking lot. :)

Emma kitty is purring now, and wants attention, so I gotta go. bye now, and go check your lug nuts