Date:         Sun, 12 May 1996 01:52:44 -0400
From:         dworkin@ari.net (H Steven Dolan)
Subject:      Re: '68 front-end into '59 Bus? Disc brakes?

At 12:15 PM 5/12/96 -0500, JMonesson@aol.com wrote: >I recently acquired a '68 parts bus. My question is: can I use this >ball-joint front end on >my '59? Someone told me yesterday that I could. I also have a '73 parts van, >can I use the disc brakes from that beam on the '68/'59? Any response is >greatly appreciated.

I don't think this will work. To quote from '68-79 Bentley for Busses,

"Prior to the models covered by this maual, the Type 2 front axle was similar to the front axle of the Volkswagen Beetle. However, beginning with the 1968 models, the front axle for the Type 2 vehicles was completely redesigned. Although it employs the same operating principles as the earlier axle, every part of the new unit differs in size and shape."

As a result I think you are out of luck. The mounting points almost certainly differ and I know from experience the trailing arms are much bigger on the later axle. (and tougher to remove, too)

What *might* work is to find a late beetle front end, with disks, and swap it in. Alternatively, a variety of disk brake conversion kits have been produced for the Beetle, which might fit. (some of these kits also "lowered" the front end, an interesting possibility for correcting rear-end sag). Not having any experience with the disc brake era bugs, I do not know if there was any provision for power assistance. If not, you may want to take a second think about this, as disc brakes take considerably more pedal pressure than drums.

Steven Dolan Alexandrian, VA

'73 FI'ed Westy