Date:         Sun, 12 May 1996 15:09:35 -0300 (ADT)
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      [Syncro PS] Which fluids are best?

John, thanks for the posting on fluids, my problem is below.

>Power steering: early any ole Dexron Mercon ATF, late the same >import guy sells Pentosin made Audi/VW compatible fill for $10/qt. >Beats the crap out of VW price on their "hydraulic oil" surely though >never mix ATF and the later stuff.

Sheee-it! Lemme try this on you. '87 with PS, I flushed the system with STP ATF Dexron-III and left in in for a two months. Got rid of nasty squeal from pump immediately, and got rid of brown cloudy fluid too. ATF was thicker. It was a thorough flush, pumped out until ATF was running into dump bottle. So... Last week the rack seals failed. No idea exactly when this happened, the boots are so tightly sealed that they are holding all the leaked ATF, including yesterdays 1/2 litre top up, which pump out in an hour.

Any idea if some incompatibility exists between Pentosin soaked seals and ATF I used? I noticed the pump burping and the rack belching air under me after getting way over sideways while offroading the Syncro. Sank the drivers side deep in a stream bed, which meant the PS reservoir may have sucked air for a while. It was all perfect just prior, and level was fine <1 week ago. Was getting ready to flush out and replace with the $34 tin of Pentosin from the dealer I bought a while back, grrr. Oh, the manual specifies 'ATF-Dexron' no other rating, ie/ -II or Mercon or type F. Any chance air could have somehow blown/cut the seals? TIA Tim Smith