Date:         Sun, 12 May 1996 08:38:15 -0400
From:         dworkin@ari.net (H Steven Dolan)
Subject:      VW bits & Engine for sale ('79 2L, FI)

I have, alas, "lost my lease" at my folks old garage. They are selling it and have asked me to clean it out. Most of the parts can fit in my basement, but there are two "items of value" I cannot move. Thus I would like to sell:

Bus related: My "spare" engine. It came from a '79 combi, it ran well for the 50 miles from where I bought it to where I removed it, and the compression was good then. It has been in the garage for the last 4 years, unrun. I was going to throw it in a likely looking body, but that body went before I could get to it. The engine is complete from intake manifolds to heater boxes (no FI gear, no muffler). I am asking $600.00, but will listen to reason.

VW (but not bus) related: My "Mexi-beetle". One of the recurring themes in the vw.aircooled newsgroup is "wouldn't it be neat to buy one of those spiffy, brand new Beetles they are still making in Mexico and bring it back?" The instant response is, of course, that after you modify it to meet current US safety and emissions standards, you would wind up with a $50,000 Beetle. Well, quite a while back, I had this great *Idea*. I asked the VA DMV, "What *precisely* is a car?" The answer is that the frame is the car, however modified. Well, one day I was bopping down this back country road near where I live and I saw the burnt out hulk of a bug sitting by the side of the road. Passed it for three days running, and then saw a police officer tucking a ticket on the front hood. A short discussion later and the officer and I went to a pay phone. The officer called the registered owner and told him his choices were basically to tow it now, with a $75 ticket or deal with me, and I would pay the ticket. A short discussion later, I owned the burnt hulk of a '59 beetle. The body was toasted to the point that the roof had melted, but after removing the body, the floor pan was quite solid.

I have the pan, front axle, tranny, rear axles, and the (partially melted) engine. But most importantly, I have the title! My long range plan was to load the pan in my bus, drive down to Mexico, buy a new Beetle, and perform the most massive (and quickest) restoration you have ever seen. Per the VA DMV this would now legally be a legal '59, and exempt from all safety and emissions requirements. Asking price for the floor pan and title is $300.00

Anyone interested?

Steven Dolan Alexandrian, VA

'73 FI'ed Westy