Date:         Sun, 12 May 1996 21:41:12 -0400
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      Re:  '68 front-end into '59 Bus? Disc Brakes?

Josh- I've done this swap many, many times. Currently have one in a '59 Euro (Semaphore) PU I sold to a friend of mine a few years back and also on a '61 Panel Van. Just use the beam, tierods, balljoint arms of the '68 assembly, then install the spindles, calipers, rotors, etc. from the '73. Works fine with the stock single-circuit cylinder, although upgrading to a '67 dual circuit cylinder would of course be safer in the long run. Servo isn't really required as VW often sold disc brake systems on 71-79 models outside of USA using a '70 Non Servo master cylinder (In fact my buddy that has the '59 now also has a Euro '72 Single Cab PU w/stock 1600 upright and Non Servo Disc Brakes. It also has this neat Westfalia built extra wide flat bed option too). I like the 73-79 brakes better than the 71-72 because the pads are thicker and last alot longer. To retain the large wheel bolt pattern, adaptors will have to be used (5-112 to 5-205). Cost is about $125 to $135 off the top of my head. Good luck with the changeover :) Jim / BusBoys@aol.com