Date:         Sun, 12 May 1996 18:19:00 -0700
From:         cev@rocket.com (Charles E. Vaughan)
Subject:      Exhaust Repair Bummer

I developed a crack in the exhaust pipe that is between the collection manifold and the catalytic converter on my '84. An earlier crack in a different location had taught me to check the support truss, and sure enough there was a break in the truss as well. This van has 148k miles so I'm economizing. My local dealer in Seattle, (Campbell-Nelson VW/Saab for you PNW types) has a good used part operation and I bought a replacement from them.

I have rarely ever worked on a portion of a car with poorer access to bolt heads and nuts. I used end wrenches, sockets (w and w/o universals), box wrenches, and adjustable wrenches. Corrosion made the metric tools not fit so I used principally 1/2" and 7/16" wrenches although a 12 mm socket seemed to fit. After a 2 hour wrestling match (I lost) I got the pipe off and the replacement back on and tight. I also did and angle iron repair of the broken support truss.

Next I fired up the van only to hear and then feel an exhaust leak around the repair. Ultimate bummer: the replacement pipe had cracked in a somewhat different location, so the whole job has to be done over again. Lessons learned: 1. Used exhaust pipes are brittle from being hot. 2. It's worth it to replace all old nuts and bolt on this type repair. 3. Jack stands are worth every penny (I don't have any, yet).

Charles Vaughan '84 Vanagon GL (a little louder than usual) Woodinville, WA