Date:         Mon, 13 May 96 13:50:13 PDT
From:         stafford@newport26.hac.com (Jack Stafford)
Subject:      EGR on 1978 2.0L engine questions

I'm in the process of getting my vehicle registration renewed. Since I have swapped in a newer engine, the State of Calif requires an inspection. The inspector has failed my vehicle because he believes that the EGR system is malfunctioning.

Failing the Test: The test procedure that the inspector is using goes as follows: Warm up the engine, let it idle and remove the EGR valve pushrod from the throttle positioner. By moving the pushrod back and forth the EGR valve opens and closes. When the valve opens it allows exhaust vapors to enter the air box. The idle is supposed to stumble and the engine stall. My engine idle does not stumble or stall.

Maintenance: I've cleaned out the pipes with a wire hangar, blown air through the EGR filter, cleaned and inspected the EGR valve and sealed all the flanges using muffler gasket goop. I know that exhaust IS flowing through the system as I can feel it with my finger when one of the pipe flanges is temporarily disconnected.

Questions: Is the inspector's test procedure correct?

Is there an alternate test that can be performed to prove that EGR is functional? (I suggested hooking the car up to the exhaust gas analyzer during the EGR test.)

My original '73 motor had a "smog pump" and the '78 does not. It must rely on manifold pressure to run the system. Perhaps on the '78 engine there is not enough volume of exhaust to stall the engine at idle - when manifold pressures are relatively low? (my theory)

Should I schedule any further inspections with an inspector in a differant city? (2nd doctor's opinion)

I need help from the V@L brain trust. Any comments, email is fine: stafford@alcor.hac.com

Thanks, Jack '73 Westfalia ('78 engine) Costa Mesa, CA