Date:         Fri, 17 May 1996 11:59:34 -0400
From:         dworkin@ari.net (H Steven Dolan)
Subject:      76 Type II valve & "O" ring answers and questions

Bill Crick wrote: >Volks: My Haynes Manual says to adjust the valves, on my van, the wheels need > to be removed. Is this true? I'd rather not if it isn't needed,

I have never had to remove the tire. The adjustment procedure is goes just like a bug. The only caution is that the bail *must* be flipped in the correct direction. If you flip it the wrong way, the cover won't come off and the bail is a bear to get back on. I am 90% sure the correct direction is up, but it has been too long. Am I right on this?

> Second question will I need any special tools above Open/box wrenches, > feelers, srewdrviers etc? If so what?

Well, you might have on hand a new gasket, and this is a perfect time to replace any leaky pushrod tube seals. Also, this is a good time to clean up any leaky pushrods (see below)

Tobin wrote: >I splurged and spent the big $$$ for the official VW seals. Dunno if >this helps, but it's done. The seals came in two different colours: >muddy brown and brick red/orange. Both seals appear to have exactly the >same dimensions, but the brown seals appear to be slightly more dense. >Why the difference?

If they are truly the same size, then you have a little problem. Each pushrod has a small ring on the end that goes in the block and a big ring that goes on the end in the head. Different colors indicate different materials. Alas, I don't know the color code. I agree with John that the Viton seals seem to last longer, but more important than seal material is clean seats. If you take a little mirror and a flashlight under the bus with you and look into the block, you will probably see a "false seat" of engine crap has built up. Remove this crap and your seal will last lots longer.

Questions: Before answering the valve adjustment question, I took a look in my Bentley and saw that the valve spec for FI engines is .15mm intake and exhaust. (Chapter 5, Section 11.8) My understanding always was that solid lifters got the .15mm gap, but that the correct adjustment for hydraulic lifters was "just touching". ?????? Early Onset Alzheimers????Flashback????Have I been doing it wrong all these years???? Steven Dolan Alexandrian, VA

'73 FI'ed Westy