Date:         Tue, 28 May 96 13:49 CDT
From:         Joel Danke <JDANKE@macc.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Re: Head Temp Sender Tip!! (FI)

There must be something going around: I had almost the same event happen to me on Friday night as happened to "Captain" Jim Kirk this weekend. He's the guy who used a light bulb instead of the head temp sensor for FI.

I left work around 8:30pm and drove north toward Wisconsin. As I pulled into the last toll station my engine quit, and refused to restart.

For the next hour I poked around the engine compartment and surrounding environs (have multi-tester, will travel!). I had some problems before, but this time I was able to actually test some hypotheses with a hot (not overheated) engine.

Voltage through the cylinder head temp. sensor was 10.5 volts, which was the same as grounded, and the same as when the engine was cold. The resistance was around 1500 Ohm, I think. I was able to get the bus started, and I could make it stall by disconnecting the sensor. So it can actually make the engine stop, not just run poorly.

So I, too, was on the side of the road, thinking "resistor, resistor, where can i get a resistor?" I ended up just poorly grounding the lead from the harness. My reasoning was that the sensor only is supposed to have 60 Ohm of resistance with a warm engine, so zero is a lot closer than 1500. My static timing light is one of those awl-like things with an internal light and a wire terminating in an alligator clip. I couldn't get it to stay connected.

It got me to my mom's house OK, and I replaced the sensor with one from a '75 (?) squareback that she is (reluctantly) storing for me.

Monday afternoon I was outside of Madison, Wis., and my bus wouldn't start. It turns out that the sensor vibrated loose (I was only able to hand tighten it because of crummy placement and bent shrouding). A friend of mine said I was sure lucky that I know so much about cars. I wonder if he ever thought about the WHY and HOW I've had to learn about keeping 20 year old cars running.

joel danke

Thanks to all who sent words of encouragement about the CV joints, and thanks to the following for their insight regarding stalling: 30erainey@SOPHIA.SPH.UNC.EDU carwile@ix.netcom.com dworkin@village.org

Also, a special howdy to Chris in Madison, whose '71 Camper is back on the road again! Howdy!

30SKUCERA@SOPHIA.SPH.UNC.EDU