Date:         Sun, 12 May 1996 19:53:41 -0700
From:         William Rowden <wrowden@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      FS:  '77 VW Westfalia; $3500 OBO

1977 (air-cooled) VW Westfalia (camper van with "pop top") $3500 OBO.

It's a great van, but now I'd rather go to Europe than camp around here. This orange van has standard 4-speed transmission and gets 19 mpg highway (with a 14-gallon tank and a gauge that doesn't work). It just passed emissions testing after adjusting the fuel injection. It doesn't use oil between changes (approximately every 2000 miles). It has less than 188,000 miles on it.

Built for family camping, it has luggage storage over the cab, louvered windows (so you can get fresh air without getting wet) and it comes with 10= ' x 10' side tent and gas heater (unattached). Inside, it has lots of storag= e, an icebox, a small table, a fluorescent light over the sink (in addition to the cab light), AM/FM/cassette, and a passenger seat that swivels 180=BA. = The "pop top" permits sleeping above while the moveable rear seat permits sleeping below for a total of four people asleep.

I've owned it two years now, doing routine maintenance myself, and having n= o collisions except one minor one that dented the rear bumper. The previous owner painted it and replaced the transmission (about 26,000 miles ago). I replaced the old, tired engine near the end of a trip around the U.S. two summers ago; the new engine has 9,000 miles on it. While chasing down a problem (which turned out to be the battery connection!), I replaced a distributor cap and rotor, and a coil that were not very worn. I recently (about 5000 miles ago) replaced the alternator and clutch cable as well. Common tools are all that's required to maintain it yourself. The va= n comes with shop manual and a copy of the John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagon Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat [si= c] Idiot." Additional spare parts (alternator belt, fuses, head temperature gauge, oil pressure gauge, and a California catalytic converter) also come with it.

E-mail me or call 782-1766.

=09-William =09(wrowden@u.washington.edu)