Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jun 1996 09:14:10 -0700
From:         Jim Ellis <jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com>
Subject:      SOTO/Classic Weekend (Part 3 Camping with Box on Wheels)

OK, so the SOTO meet was complete, all of the door prizes were handed out, everyone had the requisite stare at the Parts is Parts "bolt-on" lady, and Dave Heard's reputation remained in the "Miss Congeniality" category ;-) Some of the crowd would run back over to the Irvine Hiliday Inn for the Toy and Literature show. I like my toys at a 1:1 scale. Usually, the best show is in the parking lot and in the bar. This year the bro-in-law and I decided to meet up with the SanDiego NEATO chapter called "The Box On Wheels Club." We wandered up to O'Neil Park which is in the hills south of Irvine. LA is weird in that you can be in Compton getting car jacked and shot at or drive 45 minutes and camp out "in the woods." The park was a nice "forested" camp area with pre-designated parking spots. We were the first to arrive. The lady at the gate said to camp anywhere in areas A,B, or C. Cool! We were to have the pick of the spots! =) The downside was the we couldn't find areas A,B, or C and opted for space # 71. Popped the top on the camper and some liquid, burnt some weinie samitches and rested. No buses arrived. Hmmm... A couple of hours later a nice lady sheepishly approached us as we were serinated by soothing bands like the Henry Rollins Orchestra, Rage Against the Machine, and NIN. She mentioned that the Girl Scout Troop #69 was to arrive and that we were in her spot. She also mentioned that a zillion old hippie buses were parked down in the really nice grassy area. She pointed down the road and thought that we would be more comfy with them. Yup, in fact. So we moved. Sliding into the A,B, and C area was nearly impossible as all of the spaces were already taken. We had to either squeeze into the spot where everyone would scuff by in the gravel to and from the shower house with banging door or park "over there." The bro-in-law suggested that "over there" would be quieter. So we moved. Compliments to Daniel Lewis and crew for organizing a great option to the Holiday Inn parking lot. Unfortunately, the VanBondo tribe may have come across as antisocial by parking "over there." Our neighbors, "over there," as announced by a huge banner were a group of "Emotionally Tweeked Viet Vet Postal Workers with Trigger Fingers for Christ." I got major looks as I scooted the Westy into their area. Jesus Christ and Viet Vets get my support. Trigger fingers kinda make me feel uneasy. Uh, we moved a leeetle further away and popped the top again. We wanted to get a good night sleep. Appropriate sniffing of the San Diego Buses, visiting, beanie weenies, and time to crash! Ah, sleep. About 10:30PM all heck broke loose as a half dozen bugs and buses BOOMED into the spaces right next to us. The Bad Boys from Azuza, California all had black-lowered vehicles, tight sounding engines (constantly revving), and BIG BOOMY stereos. (Nice!) These guys must have had Rexall treats up their noses because they drank, talked, and BOOMED **ALL** night long. "Wus zup!?, Wus zup!? Sheet Holmes, Wuz zup?!" Uh, like me all night long~Thank you very little!! 8((. About 05:00 as in the prediscussed Five (freekin) Oh clock they started screaming "Wake the **** UP! Hey everybody Wake the **** UP!" They all jumped in their BOOMY vehicles, revved the engines, peeled out one by one like jets off an aircraft carrier, throwing dirt and rocks behind them, and left their camp fire for the winds to spread into the hills. (Really). VanBondo put out the fire and suffered more stares from the "Emotionally Tweeked Viet Vet Postal Workers with Trigger Fingers for Christ." Guilty by association/proximity. Those darned VW folks you know... It was now Sunday morning after all. Time for worship and the VW Classic. Two separate issues in some minds, single in others. Casual (non-hyper/exhausted) cup of coffee and off to the Classic. A quick check of the Box on Wheels crew confirmed that it was quiet and peaceful "Over there" in areas A,B, and C. The bro-in-law was passed out to the point that he didn't hear much. Damn, sobriety is a b**** sometimes... Off we went to the Classic for a day of fun in the sun. (Part 4 Classic/Fun in Sun)