Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jun 1996 09:00:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Re: Consumer Reports on oil/L

>They felt that the test wasn't sufficient to measure sludge buildup, as >this requires the engines to sit cold and cabs never sit for long.

Remember, too, some very important points:

1.) When an engine "sits cold", sludge isn't the only thing that happens to the oil. It also drains down into the crankcase, leaving little on the moving/rubbing parts of the engine. So, when you start up "cold" (i.e. engine has been sitting still for hours), you have very little oil in the bearings, journals, etc. This is when you get the most wear, of course, and is the principal test of oil-- which was by and large left out of the COnsumer Reports tests.

2.) Consumer Reports did not test any aircooled cars. Well, they can't, since nobody makes them any more, in numbers great enough to matter. But for us luftboxers on the list, this is a very big deal, since aircooled engines run hotter than their watercooled brethern. This elevated temp has its greatest effect on-- you guessed it-- the oil. It breaks down faster with high temperatures.

3.) Consumer Reports also did not test any 2-ton vehicles that were being pushed by little 90-hp-or-less engines. We all know that Volksie engines, particularly in heavier vans such as Westies, are working their little tails off, much harder than your average Honda. They turn more revs per mile, and wear out more quickly. One product of this, is more metal particulates in the oil for every 1,000 miles. Hard-working engines need their oil changed more often than "vanilla" cars.

Consumer Reports can't be blamed for points 2 and 3 above-- they are trying to test cars that are fairly representative of the "average" car that most people drive. It's not their fault that we listmembers are weird. But we do have to take our own special circumstances into account, and not blindly accept what CR said, as gospel.

As for Point 1... well, every now and then, the smart people at Consumer Reports need vacations like the rest of us, and I think they took one while this series was being planned. Taxi engines lead a hard life, no doubt-- but they also lead a DIFFERENT life from your "average" car. More miles between cold starts is the most significant. Also, most taxis tend to be medium or large cars in this country-- when was the last time you saw a Tercel or an Aspire with a meter flag?

Small cars tend to have small, high-revving engines nowadays-- sort of like certain older German cars we all know and love. Some larger, taxi-type cars also do, but many larger cars tend to have larger engines with taller trannies that let them rev slower.

I skimmed over the CR article, and don't remember if they mentioned exactly what makes and models they ran these tests on. Anybody know?

I usually have great respect for CR-- while not perfect, they are the closest thing to a large, impartial analyst I've ever seen. But they occasionally goof-- anyone recall the time they tested auto stereo speakers? They mounted them all, one set at a time, in the doors of the same Ford Granada, and then stated that all the speakers tested, had a strange and annoying resonance around the pitch of G in the musical scale, but made no attempt to guess why. Evidently none of their test "engineers" was familiar with basic harmonics of cavities-- the property that makes a bugle able to play certain notes but not others, or that makes a Coke bottle hum at a certain pitch when you blow across it. If they had tried installing the same speakers in car doors of different size or depth, they would have found major differences. I have a hunch that the Vacation Effect was at work on that one, too.

But most of CR's work is very valuable, if for no other reason than they work hard to strip away any brand loyalties that otherwise cloud issues. And this oil report is too-- the fact that it found little difference between various dino oils is significant.

They also found that Slick-50 and STP oil treatment had no apparent effect in their tests-- a sentiment I've heard a few times from various listmembers here, too. But keep in mind that these additives' chief claim to fame, is that they claim to leave more slippery stuff on engine parts during long, cold shutdowns, than ordinary oil does. Again, cold- shutdown performance was specifically NOT tested by CR, much. So the jury's still out on this one, as far as CR's tests go.

Personally I feel that Slick-50 et.al. are snake oil. But it's mostly a gut feel rather than something I can prove.

I like CR a lot, and will keep my subscription current. But comparing taxis to VW buses, for our particular cases, is like apples and oranges. I'll keep using generic dino oil (made by Valvoline) and changing it every 3,000, in all my cars.