Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jun 1996 20:12:50 -0700
From:         rickgo@halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      re Eurovans- to buy or not to buy

>I have an '85 Vanagon Camper that is getting over the hill and was interested >in the Eurovan. I notice only 1993s available, and they mention a >"Weekender" package. Is this comparable to the Vanagon's camper package, ie. >stove,sink, frig, poptop, etc? Why no '94 on models? What about >reliability, or other general information? Any feedback would be greatly >appreciated!

Okay, I'll bite, since for a variety of reasons I'm home reading email instead of galavanting around the countryside in my EV!

The 1993 EV Weekender is not the same as a Vanagon Camper. There is no kitchen cabinet - you have a little electric "heat remover" underneath a jump seat, and you have the pop-top & fold-down bench so you can sleep four. There was no 1994 model. There is a 1995 model, the EV Camper, which is still in the distribution channel, although supposedly they are sold out at the factory. It is a longer vehicle, sold in Europe as a delivery van, which is retrofitted as a camper by Winnebago. Fortunately however they used a very Westfalia-like design. (There is some other camper which is sold by Winnebago which is really a bloated beast - not the same thing!)

Reliability seems to be mixed, but what else is new! Its a complex vehicle, and there have been mixed reports. I haven't heard of anything significant across a broad range of them however, except maybe the automatic transmission being "shifty". They have pretty extensive warranty's on them. People in *very* cold areas have complained about the heating capability of the Camper. It's a lot more powerful than the Vanagon. Its got an Audi 5-cylinder engine with a cam that gives you a flat torque curve from 2200-4500 rpms. This makes it pull out fairly well, but means you shift a lot before you get up to speed. Engine seems to run very smooth, but it takes a little getting used to after the Vanagon. It doesn't have airbags, it does have ABS as an option.

The 1997 EV will supposedly have a VR6 engine, although I believe that its cam has been altered to put the emphasis on torque instead of HP. Whether they put a camper conversion on this remains to be seen. They didn't sell a lot of the 95 version in part because it was so expensive; to put the VR6 in they'll want a few K$ as well, and there was some resistance to that. It seems likely that they probably will do some, but I certainly don't know when.

Best advice is find a local dealer and take one for a spin. Going price seems to be around US$28K for ones with a $33K sticker price. Get them to throw in the extra seat. If you like the amt of power it has now, it'll probably be a bargain compared to next year's price!

-rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- rickgo@halcyon.com http://www.halcyon.com/rickgo/ KC7QEG finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------