Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 06 Jun 1996 12:00:48 -0500
From:         Nato Dean <natode19@ecity.net>
Subject:      Re: Annoying oil plug drip.

AJAX668873@aol.com wrote: > > Hello, > > I have a partially stripped drain plug in my 87 westy. I had the local shop > install a helicoil but it still drips. Apparantly a helicoil is something > that retreads the old drain plub but it didn't work in my case. Anyway I've > heard talk of "expansion bolts." My mechanic doesn't like them, says I > should live with the drip. Any ideas or sources for an expansion plug. I > doubt I'm alone in this problem. > > Thanks! > Craig Charles > 87 westy

Craig, I've been using a an expansion plug for the last 3000 miles in my 1981 Westy. No leaks to report. It is a Champ model # 19947 Oil Drain Plug made for 1/2 inch, 12mm, 13mm or 14mm holes - it expands to fill the hole and comes with a plastic tool used for installation and removal. Should be available at many parts stores, American car parts stores included. As long as you keep an eye on your oil level and leaks (as I'm sure most of us do anyway) I don't see any major problems with it. Since it is rubber, I'll probable replace the plug every 3 or so oil changes - since I don't have to remove it to change the oil. I use the round oil plate next to it to drain the oil. Good luck.. Nathan 1974 Karmann Ghia Coupe 1981 Westfalia Vanagon 1992 Jetta GL (1965 21 Window Deluxe Microbus- Project)