Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jun 1996 09:04:25 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@halcyon.com>
Subject:      A&E Systems Catalina 2500 awning report

The awning I ordered for my '87 Wesfalia arrived and I got it installed yesterday. I'm really pleased, it's a high-quality product and was quite easy to install without drilling any holes in the van. I got the A&E Systems Catalina 2500 in the 9' 10" size. With the van adapter kit for rain-gutter installation, total cost came to about $400. I purchased the awning through Camping World via mail order. Their number is 800.626.5944.

The 9' 10" size is the largest size you can install on the Westfalia without it protruding from either end of the van. Installed, it's about 4" shorter than the pop top at each end and extends 8' from the van when opened. Everything folds up into the streamlined aluminum case. The mounting kit consists of 3 2-piece extruded aluminum brackets that clamp onto the rain gutter. I installed one on either side of the sliding door and one just behind the rear side window. The brackets look like they were designed especially for Vanagons, and indeed the instructions show a Westfalia in the installation diagrams. These brackets could be used to install other awnings as well as the A&E models. What I really like about this setup is that I didn't have to modify my van in any way and I can remove the awning in about 15 minutes if I want to. Since I do quite a bit of off season camping, I'll probably leave it on year round.

I didn't install the bottom mounting brackets that allow the arm assemblies to mount to the van and extend at an angle to support the awning. This setup doesn't really work well on the Vanagon because there is no good place to put these brackets. Instead, I just set up the awning with the arm assemblies running straight down to the ground. This works just as well and the awning is still free standing. Hopefully, I'll have some pictures soon...

-Mark McCulley '87 syncro Westfalia