Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 10 Jun 1996 14:14:49 -0400
From:   Rick Koller <rkoller@helix.nih.gov>
Subject:   A&E 2500 awnings

Mark McCulley wrote: The awning I ordered for my '87 Wesfalia arrived and I got it installed yesterday. I'm really pleased, it's a high-quality product and was quite easy to install without drilling any holes in the van. I got the A&E Systems Catalina 2500 in the 9' 10" size. With the van adapter kit for rain-gutter installation, total cost came to about $400. I purchased the awning through Camping World via mail order. Their number is 800.626.5944. etc.

I also have the same awning and agree with Mark's assessment of its virtues. However I have some preventative advice in preserving the value of said awning. I would definitely rig up some wind stabilizing devices. I have a hold down kit that I got from Camping World that holds the support poles in the ground and works very well. What I don't have and wish that I had had, is another strap to hold down the awning material itself. This strap would go over the top of the awning from side to side and also be secured in the ground. It too is available from Camping World. When I was camping in the Florida Keys this past spring I had the awning set up in a slight rain. I went off to take a shower and when I came out of the washroom a full blown gale had arrived! I ran back to the campsite where my wife was hanging on to the awning fabric. It had begun to tear off the roller at a seam. We both hung on to the thing for about in hour in 35 to 40mph wind and driving rain it was too windy to roll it back up. After the storm passed I had a tear about 2ft off the roller and I still havn't fixed it yet.

Rick Koller '90 syncro Westie '81 air-Westie

*************************************** Richard Koller Email: rkoller@helix.nih.gov Phone: 301-496-8414 ***************************************