Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 11 Jun 1996 01:27:47 -0700
From:   Arnold Schultz <aschultz@smartt.com>
Subject:   HELP, 78 westy, 2L FI trouble (high idle)

Hello hope you can help, I have a 1978 2 litre type 2 westfalia with fuel injection and conventional pointfull ignition. Over about the past three years my idle started to creep up. At first at each tuneup I could set the Idle with the idle adjustment screw. It was not long that the screw was bottomed out and over time the idle came up to what it is now, about 1700rpm. This rise was slow, gradual and linear over the past years. Over this time I think I have checked everything at least 5 times, I have talked to anyone that I could, even the local dealer is mystified. I have looked at the book and systematically checked every component in the system. The milage on the lady since I had her is 190,000km (118,000m) I estimate total milage to be at least 390,000 (242,000m) to 590,000km (366,000m). I have a new engine in her now with about 20,000km (12,000m).

What has been done:

1) Air cleaner housing and filter checked. 2) Airflow sensor checked and changed (used). 3) Throttle valve Checked and changed (used), also tried was to file the butterfly valve so to fit without light showing. 4) Air intake distributor housing checked. ok 5) EGR valve capped off. 6) Auxiliary air regulator checked ok, also tried capping all the lines. 7) Deceleration control valve checked ok, also I tried a used one and also tried capping all the lines. 8) Electronic control box changed (used). 9) Cold start valve new and working good.(now:-)) 10) Temperature sensor checked ok 11) All vacuum hoses and intake manifold interconnect hoses checked as well as soaked with water to check for leak through. 12) Vacuum hose for the brakes caped off. 13) Fuel pressure and regulator valve checked ok.

All this has been done at least once, some several times or in combination with other checks. Each time no change in the idle could be observed. You have no idea how frustrating this has been. One other possibility is that the component that is causing this trouble has the exact same problem in the parts that I got at the auto wreckers. If this would be true I would have thought it should be a common problem, and others would know about it. The only thing not checked was the fuel injectors themselves, I was told by many that the injectors could not do this. but I am starting to wonder......

If anyone can help, you will have my unfading gratitude.