Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jun 1996 12:38:03 -0400
From:         dworkin@ari.net (H Steven Dolan)
Subject:      Re: Cost of Hobbies

Ladies, Gentlesirs, (and the rest of you, too)

Given that VW's are too perfect to require justification, and that I remember at least one publication that awarded them the honor of being "the quintesence of automobile-ness", I feel I must relate a recent conversation that I was involved in. My boss (an otherwise intelligent woman) recently purchase a generic mini-van for $20K. While she was boasting its size (7 passengers), its economy (20mpg), and its power (2L inline 4); I was doing a quick addition in my head and realized that in my (aproximately {I'm NOT telling}) 20 years of car buying I still had not spent $10K on buying autos (mostly VW's). Also, at this stage my car was comparable to hers in every respect except that I wasn't paying $300+ per month. Indeed, the '78 I had at that time had cost me $400 purchase + ~600 to get it running.

At the same time, through the years, innumerable people have admired my VW's and each has expressed a desire to own one. My universal response is, "Have you ever changed your own oil?" The major virtue of VW's to me is that I *can* fix them, the major drawback is that I must. All in all, I figure that the average joe is probably spending at least $300.00 per month on payments and repairs, so any car that consumes less than $3,600 per year is a bargain. Over 20 years, I figure that I am ~$40,000 ahead of that. Thus not only is this "hobby" more fun than is legal in many states, it is also lucrative as all get out.

So there...... H Steven Dolan Alexandria, VA

'73 FI'ed Westy